Tuesday 28 February 2012

These Are the Days :)

It feels like life has been a whirlwind since about a month before Christmas...... actually, make that since September....... ok, make that since T was born.  Life seems to be racing by at incredible speed.  One year ago today I was a week overdue with T and praying that he would come on a day when Dean was not out of town.  Dean was still long hauling until a few days before T was born and I had a backup person for my delivery, and then I had a backup for my backup.  It was probably around this day last year when I was pretty sure I was going into labour.  I was having mild contractions at regular intervals all evening long.  I was just about ready to call my sister (backup #1) and give her the heads up and then it suddenly stopped.  It was that evening when I realized that I would not be ok with a backup person.... I wanted Dean there.  I guess, if I am going to be honest, I didn't need Dean there.  For centuries, delivering babies was women only work but I sure do love having Dean in the delivery room.  He is calm, supportive, and he doesn't say stupid things like, "I know how you feel".  Plus, the look on his face the first time he met L was something that I am SO glad I was able to witness.  I missed out on that with T, but I'll save that crazy story for another day.

Anyway, talking about delivery rooms and labour was not supposed to be the point of today's blog.  Today I wanted to share a moment of my day.  Dean has been out of town since Monday morning so it's been just the kids and I.  They have been really well behaved but it is still exhausting and lonely doing life without Dean for a few days.  This afternoon I had to do some baking for T's upcoming birthday and I felt bad making L play by herself since life has been so busy lately and she's had to do a lot of that.  So I decided to set up our "kitchen beach" again so she could play in the same room with me while I got the baking done.  But, as soon as it was set up, T woke up early from his nap.  So, I decided that since it was "only water" I would seize the day and let him play too.  It turned out to be a lot of fun for all of us.  L got a kick out of T playing with her and T could not believe that there was a "bathtub" in the middle of the kitchen.  So, the wonderful moment of my day was sitting next to the warm oven with the smell of white chocolate birthday cake pouring out, while sunbeams sprayed through the windows chasing out the feeling of a cold winter day and replacing it with warm beams that shone on my two little blessings splashing and giggling in the middle of the kitchen with wet toys scattered all around and smiles a mile long.  That was my moment :)




No comments:

Post a Comment