Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Best Purchase of Our Holiday

We didn't do much shopping while we were on our vacation last week since neither my mom nor I are big shoppers but we did get to a few stores.  One place I was determined to get to was Target.  They have a line of kids clothes there called Circo and it's made by Carter's especially for Target stores.  I love it because it's really cute and because it is dirt cheap.  I bought both the kids shirts and shorts and I never payed over $5 for any item.  Love.  My best find, however, was two movies.  Usually I do not buy movies but I was so excited when I found some Strawberry Shortcake ones.  The old Strawberry Shortcake movies.  I loved Strawberry Shortcake as a kid and I was so excited when L started getting into it too.  The dolls and figurines smell soooooo yummy.  I don't know what they do to make them smell so good (probably some crazy cancer causing ingredient) but both L and I could sit and sniff those things for a long time.  Yes, I realise that is strange.  Anyway, moving on, I have watched a couple of episodes of the new Strawberry Shortcake show with L and I have been pretty disappointed.  While there is nothing really wrong with the content of the show I feel like the characters act a little too grown up.  Call me old fashioned if you like but I don't like the attitudes of those little (let strangely large headed) girls.  They act a bit like "teeny boppers".  L is only three and I don't need her starting to develop an attitude any time soon.  I found this very disappointing and I don't really want her to watch the show, at least not yet.  A few months ago my sister passed on an old Strawberry Shortcake movie to us and L and I both really enjoyed it.  It has a fun educational storyline and the little girls act like little girls.  After I watched it with L I went online to see if I could find any to buy.  Well, being as cheap as I am, I wasn't willing to pay what they were asking for the movies to L just had to be content with the toys and colouring books we had.  But then, at the Target in Palm Springs I found a few old Strawberry Shortcake movies for $5.  People around me probably thought I overreacted a bit but I was so excited to find them!  L is loving her new movies especially because one is about baking and the other is about dressing us which happen to be two of L's favourite things.  I may be overreacting about the new Strawberry Shortcake show but I take my job as L's mom very seriously.  It's my job to teach her love, responsibility and respect for others.  I don't need a cute little TV show muddying the waters.

1 comment:

  1. My grandma had a bunch of Strawberry Shortcake dolls when I was little. Now Strawberry Shortcake always makes me think of her. :)
    I agree with you about being careful with what kids watch. Annika's got a pretty limited "repetoire" of movies and tv shows so far.

    ReplyDelete