Thursday 22 March 2012

Our Palm Springs Vacation

We were so blessed this year to be able to go on a warm vacation.  When Dean and I made the decision for me to stay at home with the kids we knew we would have to give up many things..... vacations were on that list.  The last few winters my parents have started going away to a warm location and renting a house for a month.  This year they allowed us to stay with them in Palm Springs for 10 days.  Since they graciously pay for the accommodations and we were able to use Airmiles for our rental car, all we had to pay for were the flights..... and T can still fly for free!  We were so excited to be able to get away.  We did not think we would be going on any big family holidays until I went back to work after the kids were in school.  But, we were very happy to find ourselves in sunny Palm Springs this year :)

The weather was amazing!  Sunny and warm every single day.  We didn't see a drop of rain the entire time we were there.  Staying in the house made the vacation very doable with two little kids.  They had their own room!  They did a great job of sharing a room together and it was really nice for Dean and I to have a room to ourselves.  The house had its own pool which L really enjoyed.  She jumped in the first day and then she was a fish for the rest of the week.  Now that she is older and pretty confident in the water she is happy to swim by herself (with water wings) and I don't always have to be in the pool.  Plus, the pool had a great shallow end where she could walk around with water only to her waist.  Then there was the hut tub.  The pool was a hit but the hot tub won gold ;)  Both kids loved the warm water, especially cause Grandma was always willing to go in with them.  Grandma is not really a cold water person.... which is putting it pretty mild. lol.


We usually spent the mornings sightseeing or shopping (more on that in future posts) and the afternoon was spent by the pool while T had a nice long nap.  Then........ wait for it........ my mom cooked us supper every night.  Sigh.  I was more than happy to clean up the kitchen after she cooked.  After eight years of cooking and cleaning up every meal, there was nothing I appreciated more than my mom's cooking for an entire week.  I know I may be sounding a bit dramatic, but you have no idea how much I enjoy my mom's cooking :)  The second best thing to a week of her cooking was that in the evenings my mom would put the kids to bed and Dean and I could go out...... by ourselves...... in the evening!  That doesn't happen very often these days.  Dean and I took advantage of that and went to the evening street fair, the Cheesecake Factory, or sat outside in the hot tub with a bowl of popcorn and glass of wine.  Yep, best vacation ever.

1 comment:

  1. We've vacationed with my parents for the past 4 years (same as you - they rent a place somewhere hot and we go mooch off them!), and I really like it. It's almost like being a kid again! Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete