Tuesday 24 January 2012

Vacation Sewing Projects

I have been super excited the last few weeks since we booked our winter vacation.  We are so blessed to be able to get away for a while as a family.  I decided to go through the kids summer clothes to see what still fits from last summer.  Well, T is in a bit of trouble cause he does not have much that fits.  He is going to need stuff for the coming summer as well so I guess I will just have to do a bit of shopping on our vacation.  Woe is me ;)  L, on the other hand, has two pairs of shorts that we can make work and several t-shirts.  However, I am not going to fool myself into thinking that she is going to wear shorts and a shirt.  No way.  I am sure that the second we arrive in the warm weather she will be whining for a sundress.  I lucked out the other day at the new Carters/Oshkosh store and found cute sundresses for $7 so I picked two up.  Then I began thinking about the pile of material scraps I have in my laundry room and wondered if I could make anything for L out of them.  So I started looking online and came across the cutest wrap dress here and an adorable skirt here.  So, I pulled out the old sewing machine and spent a few afternoons making L two dresses and a skirt.  I taught myself to sew about two years ago so my knowledge is pretty limited. I have never sewn with a pattern nor have I ever sewn anything gathered so it was a learning experience.   Now L has a few new things to wear on our trip and I learnt some new things.  All in all, I am very happy with the outcome.

All the projects look pretty similar since I used the same fabric in all of them but since it was all left over from other projects it didn't cost me anything :)
This was my first attempt at the wrap dress.  I bought these fabrics almost two years ago to make a quilt for L's big girl bed.  The quilt never got made but I put the fabric to good use in several different projects.

This is my second attempt at the wrap dress.  The bottom material is from a Christmas dress I made L two years ago (my first sewing project) so it's a bit Christmasy but it's still cute :)

The thing I love about this skirt is that the top fabric is actually from some old pillowcases my parents had in the 70's :)

My crazy-haired model!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Good for you. I may have to give that wrap dress a try.

    ReplyDelete