Tuesday 26 July 2011

Could I be a country girl?

I grew up just outside the city limits on a lovely acreage.  I spent my entire childhood, teenage, and some young adult years there.  I even got married on that acreage.  I loved living outside of the city.  I loved how quiet it was.  I loved how private it was.  I loved that the only sound you could hear in summer time was the wind brushing through the leaves on the trees.  Then, when I got married, I moved into the city.  At first I hated it.  We had a VERY small lot in an older neighborhood where the houses were tall and close together.  I felt like someone was always watching me.  We were on a fire route and a bus route.  We had nosy neighbours and we had loud neighbours.  However, over time I began to appreciate the city.  I could walk five minutes and get a slurpee anytime I wanted to.  If I ran out of milk or some ingredient I needed, I could be at the grocery store and back in about 10 minutes and continue baking.  If I ever had a fire in my house (which has happened) the fire department could be there in about two minutes.  The nosy neighbours always let me know if someone had been lurking around my house or if I left my garage door open.  And those loud neighbours provided hours of amusement if I stopped and listened to them.  Yep, I learned to love the city.

When we moved to our current house my love affair was solidified.  We found a cute little house that is very pleasantly situated on a park green space.  I no longer have neighbours living behind me, just a lovely patch of grass leading to a pretty (but dirty) lake.  I now have the best of both worlds.  I can get get in my car and 10 minutes later be sitting on my deck sipping my slurpee (or better yet, my Starbucks!).  Now, having said that, lately I've been having an odd urge to be in the country.  No matter where you live in the city, you are still in the city.  There are still noises and people that you cannot control.  I find myself more and more often driving out to my parents house just to hear the peaceful sound of the wind in the trees.  My kid likes to go to Grandma's to swim and play but I like to go there to unwind and feel...... settled.  All the stress and strain that comes with kids, a husband, a mortgage, laundry, house cleaning, bill paying, etc... all melt away the second I feel that calming breeze.  If you have never lived out of the city you may not understand what I am talking about but maybe that's just it..... that breeze isn't just a breeze, it's home.  So, as much as I love the city, I think I will always be a country girl at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment