Friday 22 July 2011

My New Hobby

I desperately want to be a good cook and baker.  I really love being in my kitchen and creating new things but my kitchen skills are limited to what I have learned from my cookbooks.  I really want to learn some real skills.  So, from now on, every month I am going to try master a new cooking skill.  I think I will start with bread.  I am going to learn how to make bread and buns from scratch.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Over the last little while I have attempted a couple of cakes.  I did one for my dad's 70th birthday with some help from a friend on mine.  She came over and helped me make the fondant and showed me how to use it.  The cake was simple and it looked quite nice.

Then, this week I decided to make Dean a birthday cake.  No one in my house (other than me) eats cake.  Dean and L will take a few bites but neither of them love cake.  Despite that, I thought I would make Dean a cake just for the fun of it.  It turned out quite cute and he appreciated it.  Dean really likes wake boarding and he's quite good at it so I wanted  to make a wake board themed cake.  Since it was my first time attempting fondant by myself I was not about to make a 3D person but I figured I could probably make some feet.  So, I make a cake that looked like Dean fell off his wake board.  He thought it was cute and Lillian laughed all day about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment