Monday 25 July 2011

Summer Guilt Syndrome

I love summer.  I really really do.  However, every year I find myself drowning in intense guilt.  When spring first arrives we take every opportunity to be outside, even if it is still a bit chilly.  Then when the warm weather arrives I am outside with the kids from sun up to sun down.  Then the end of July arrives.  By this time, warm summer weather is beginning to feel normal and I start to get the itch to get a bit more done everyday.  This year I even want to take up a hobby that is..... are you ready for this..... indoors!  And this is where the guilt enters.  I feel so guilty every time the weather is beautiful and I want to do something indoors.  I went outside this morning for over an hour with the kids then I spent two hours outside in the afternoon with L while T had his afternoon nap.  Now, T is still sleeping, the weather is still nice but I want to come inside and do some baking.  Is it so wrong to not be outside every second of our super short Manitoba summer?  While baking I am still in front of my kitchen window with the beautiful summer breeze in my face while watching the curtains in my dining room swell and sway with the same breeze.  Oh, the things I find to feel guilty about.  Perhaps I just need to let go of the guilt and go make my chocolate cinnamon buns.  Yep, I bet eating one of those will melt away my summer guilt..... but it will probably make my diet guilt even more intense!  Oh, Nancy... how art thou so guilt ridden?

2 comments:

  1. take a deep breath and let it go. You and your kids spend plenty of time outside... there is nothing wrong with being indoors. I cleaned out the basement recently... on a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know how you feel. I've been wanting to go for a run on my treadmill the last few days, but I feel like it would be a waste of good weather.

    ReplyDelete