Thursday 18 August 2011

Potty Training

Lately I've been using the words "potty training" as curse words.  In the almost three years that I have been a parent this is by far the most difficult thing I have ever encountered.  How does one get a strong willed almost three year old human being to defecate in a toilet??  Seriously!  I've heard so many people say that once the child is ready it goes quickly.  I do agree with that (in theory) so I stopped stressing about it and waited until the day L woke up and said, "Mommy, I want to potty train today".  Whooooo hoooooo!  I was so excited.... until I realised that we were leaving for kids camp in five days.  But, I was not about to say no, especially because it was completely and totally her idea.  So, the underwear went on..... er, the pullups went on.  Yep, I was WAY to afraid to let her tromp around in underpants right from the get go.  After a few days she seemed to be getting the hang of it so I did bring out the underwear.  And then we left for a week at kids camp.  The nice thing about being out at camp was that when she had accidents they were usually outdoors which made for a very easy clean up.  The other good news was that she was with my sister most of the day since my sister was at camp to watch the toddlers.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha.  I spent the week giggling that my sister was dealing with most of the potty training drama.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  I`m still laughing a little.

By the time we got home from camp L was doing great.  I was convinced she was done.  I did a little happy dance.  And then, yesterday happened.  Early in the day L announced to me, ``Mommy, I peed on the floor!``  Not just any floor.  My shag carpet area rug.  When I asked her why she peed on the floor, the response was as follows: ``Because I didn`t feel like going to the potty``.   Grrrrrrrr.  As if that wasn`t frustrating enough, later that morning she announced to me that she pooped in her underwear.  Grrrrrrrr.  But wait, there is more.  As she was waiting for me to get the wipes, she peed on the floor.  Wait!  There is still more!  When I noticed the pee, she started laughing!  AAAAHHHHHHH!!!  I must say that I handled it better then I thought I would, although it was still not great.  In the end, my mom came and took L for a few hours in the afternoon so I could have a much needed break from the pee, poop, and (oh I forgot to mention this earlier) absurd toddler temper tantrums.

Today was a bit better, even though she peed on my mom`s outdoor furniture.  People keep saying that kids have setbacks right before they really conquer potty training.  I sure hope those people are right!

1 comment:

  1. Hope things get better for you soon! Although, I hate to break it to you, but accidents will still happen, even once you think they've got it all mastered.

    ReplyDelete