Wednesday 3 August 2011

Offically a travelling family

Well, we did it.  We made the seven hour drive north to Dean's parent's cabin and....... it went great!  We woke up at 4:00AM and were on the road by 4:30AM.  T just drifted back to sleep once the car got rolling and he slept almost the entire way.  We woke up for about an hour during which we stopped for a quick 30 minute bottle and bathroom break.  The other 30 minutes he was awake he just chatted before drifting back off to sleep.  L on the other hand did not sleep.  At 4:30AM I buckled her into her carseat and she woke up and asked where we were going.  She never went back to sleep.  Not even for a nap.  It turned out that it wasn't a big deal because she played quietly in her carseat without whining or complaining the entire trip.  Once we arrived at the cabin she was so excited to be there that her fatigue didn't hit her until about 6:30PM when she fell asleep while Dean was taking her for a quad ride.  Yep, she fell sound asleep.  Poor Dean had quite a fright because at first he thought she had passed out because of exhausted poisoning or something ;)

I will be perfectly honest here.  I did not want to go up to the cabin for the weekend.  There were a few reasons.  One was the long drive.  Turned out that was no big deal (they were really good on the ride home too).  Second was that our little family had to share one bedroom.  I wasn't sure how the kids would sleep or how I would even get them to sleep in the same room.  Apparently they are deeper sleepers then I realized.  They were both so exhausted from all the fun and fresh air that they just crashed at bedtime and even slept pretty late into the morning.  Dean and I could go in and out of the room once they were asleep and not even bother them.  Third, I was worried about the mosquitoes and bugs.  Turned out that there were no mosquitoes at all and very few bugs.  In the evening when they did come out we all just sat in the screened in gazebo.  The fourth reason I did not want to go was that I was afraid that everyone would take off doing fun things and I would be stuck in the cabin with the baby.  Well, because there were no bugs, T could easily be outside with us when he was awake.  The most amazing thing was that T slept constantly while we were there.  I felt like I barely saw him.  And, the monitor reached all the way to the water (the cabin lot is really long with the cabin at the top of the hill and the water at the bottom).

I guess the moral of this post is that all the things I worried about (extensively) turned out to be no big deal at all.  My need to be in control does get in the way a lot and I am SO happy that I finally made the decision to throw it out the window and go do something that my logic told me wouldn't work.  It did work and it turned out to be one of the best (if not the best) weekends of our summer.  L LOVED the cabin and all the fun things to do there.  Plus, she got to spend an entire weekend with her cousin (Dean's brother and his family also came) that she doesn't get to see that much.  Lillian adores her cousin.  Dean and I had a great time with his parents and brother and sister-in-law.  In a nut shell, it was a great family weekend for everyone.  Next time you are tempted to not do something because it's out of your comfort zone, do it.  Sure, it could be a disaster, but it could turn out as great as this past weekend did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment