Tuesday 30 August 2011

Put Your Cell Phone Away!

I like technology. When Dean and I first got married I knew my way around a computer but all of a sudden I was being introduced to all kinds of technology.  Dean can be a bit of technology junky if he lets himself.  I never used to understand it but now that I have entered the world of Facebook, blogging, texting, iphones, etc... I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like it.

Now, having said that I must also say that there is a time and place for technology.  I hate when I'm having a conversation with someone and they keep saying "yep" or "ah hum" and they are staring at their phone texting while I'm speaking. I especially hate when I'm teaching and one of my students is texting underneath their desk.  It's like they think that by simply placing their cell phone under their desk they have put up a magical shield that now makes them invisible.  Even though these things bother me, the other day I just about grabbed a stranger's cell phone and threw it.  I was sitting at the Bombers game watching our team attempt to win their seventh game of the season while the two girls next to me had their cell phones out texting, not even bothering to watch the game.  Why did they even come to the game!?!?!  Oh, it made me upset.  Why can't people turn off their cell phones for just a few hours and pay attention to what is going on around them.  Now perhaps this is less about the cell phones and more about my intense need to see the Bombers win a Grey Cup, but none the less, why do people spend money on tickets only to sit and text?  I like texting my friends but they do not need to be able to communicate with me 24 hours a day.  And they certainly don't need to contact me while I am watching in suspense as my Bombers squeak out another win.  We need to be able to enjoy life and what is going on around us rather than having our noses pointed directly at our cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment