Wednesday 7 December 2011

Winter Sniffles

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything here.  That is clearly a reflection of our lives over the past month or so.  L is in preschool, T has become very mobile, I've taken up a few new things like being on L's preschool board, and my hubby is still working six days a week with one night a week being out of town.  Then we got some crazy illness in our house.  A few weeks ago I was getting the kids ready to get out the door for preschool.  It was a perfectly normal morning.  The last thing I did before running out the door was get L our of her pj's and into her clothes.  As soon as I took her shirt off I knew something was wrong.  There were little spots all over her entire upper body.  Then I saw her legs.  There were so many spots that they were all merging into one big swollen lump all over her legs.  I tried very hard not to react.  I simply told Lillian that we were just going to leave her pjs on for a little while longer.  I immediately got on the phone with Health Links.  After going through an endless list of symptoms the nurse finally concluded that it was probably just a rash linked to a cold virus and I should keep her away from people for three days or until the rash went away, whichever was longer.  Throughout the day I started to notice that L was getting sicker and sicker.  She started getting warm, her nose started running and then she took a three hour nap.  The nap was the real kicker since she hasn't napped for over a year now.  She was pretty calm about it all until she saw those spots.  Oh goodness.  When she saw them she would freak out.  I ended up putting a diaper on her because the spots freaked her out so much that she refused to take her pants off to go to the bathroom.  Poor little thing.  The good news is that by the next day she seemed almost back to normal and the spots were receding nicely.  By day three she was all better and her skin was all cleared up. 
That should have been the end of the story but then I got that cold virus.  I didn't get the rash with it but, let me tell you, that was the mother of all colds.  I am still trying to kick it two weeks later.  It's like it keeps starting all over again every five days or so.  And then, last week poor T got it too.  His came on super rapidly.  Dean was out of town for the night and T woke up with a fever, coughing and vomiting.  Every time he breathed in it sounded horrible!  The next day I took him to the doctor who agreed with me that this was a BAD cold.  She wanted to keep an eye on him for a chest infection.  By the next morning he seemed to be getting much better.  I thought everything was fine and then yesterday afternoon it came back again with a fever and cough.  And then today he seems almost back to his happy normal self.  Sheesh.  I'm looking on the bright side that at least this isn't happening over Christmas and I'm hoping that now we have built our immunity and we won't get sick for the rest of the winter.  Yes, I realise that that is kind of stupid, but I'm still rolling with it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment